In 1926, M.L. "Lee" Grissom opened his "Undertaker Shop" on the square where Barger Insurance and Edward Jones Investments are located today. In 1936, Mr. and Mrs. Grissom purchased the Page property on Campbellsville Street and relocated. It has been told that Mr. Grissom worried that when he moved that he would starve to death because he wasn't on the square anymore.
The Grissoms' son-in-law, Charlie Clift joined them in the business and later Frank Callison became a partner. After Mr. Grissom died, James C. Maupin bought Mr. Callison's interest and for a short period of time, Bobby McKinney was a partner before moving to Liberty and in 1956, David Heskamp purchased an interest with Mrs. Rosa Grissom and Mr. Maupin. Mrs. Grissom died in 1968 and Maupin and Heskamp bought the property and business from the Estate through Carrie Montgomery, the Grissom's daughter. In the early 1970's Maupin and Heskamp sold an interest to Ray Morrison who was a partner until May 1985. In late May 1985, David Martin was approached by Mr. Maupin and Mr. Heskamp and was asked to join them in the firm and Mr. Martin purchased an interest from Mr. Heskamp. After the deaths of Mr. Heskamp in 1991 and Mr. Maupin in 2000, David and Cathy Martin purchased the remaining interest in the business.
After many name changes through the years, along with partnerships, the original name, Grissom Funeral Home was used from August 1985 until August 2007, when the Martin family added their name and the business is now known as Grissom-Martin Funeral Home, Inc.